Why is it so difficult and expensive to get healthy food? That’s the question my guest in this episode, Gunnar Lovelace, asked himself as a child and it’s the problem he’s determined to solve as an adult.
Gunnar is the co-CEO of Thrive Market, an online wholesale buying club which offers the best natural and organic products on the market at 25-50% less than retail prices. Having grown from 10 to 400 employees in only 18 months, Thrive Market is the fastest growing health food e-Commerce company in history.
As the child of a single mother, Gunnar experienced firsthand how difficult it can be for low income families to buy healthy foods. After his mother remarried, Gunnar spent time with his stepfather who ran a co-op out of a hippie commune. The experience showed him how to make food more affordable and how to build community. He felt there was a tremendous opportunity and responsibility to allow everyone access to healthy nutrition. In 2014 he and his partners in Thrive Market set out on a mission to “make healthy living easy and affordable for every American family.”
In this episode we discuss how Gunnar started out as an entrepreneur and the challenges he overcame to start Thrive Market. We discuss the health and fitness marketing lies you should be aware of and how to avoid them. We delve into the importance of strong leadership, how to create a positive culture within a company, tips for growing a business, morning routines for a successful day and much more.
Scroll down for show notes:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to listen on SoundCloud
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Right-click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
This episode is brought to you by Organifi, an organic, superfood supplement line that makes quality trusted nutrition convenient and accessible. Their Complete Protein is the quickest way to get your protein and vitamins all in one delicious, filling drink.
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. The powerful reishi mushroom has been proven to optimize sleep and help battle stress effectively. It’s known as the “mushroom of immortality,” and the “mushroom of spiritual potency.” Chill with Reishi Elixir or the incredibly delicious, Mushroom Hot Cacao Mix with Reishi.
Visit www.foursigmatic.com/jay and use the coupon code, “jay” for a 15% discount.
- How growing up with less than others sparked his desire for making healthy food accessible for everyone. [5:59]
- Why he was entrepreneurial minded from an early age. [7:19]
- How he used persistence to raise funding for Thrive Market. [10:04]
- His experiences creating camps at Burning Man and the organic connections created. [12:35]
- How to become clear on what you want in life and free yourself from limiting beliefs. [15:51]
- Why is it so difficult and expensive to get healthy food? [20:25]
- How Thrive decides what products they will and will not sell. [22:24]
- The importance of strong leadership in an organization to create a positive culture throughout the company. [24:19]
- Tips on growing a successful business. [27:31]
- The concept of “strange attractors.” How to bring purpose and context to a business to guide a positive work environment [30:57]
- What Gunnar does on a daily basis and the importance of empowering people to do their jobs well through consistent communication. [32:32]
- How to avoid health and fitness marketing lies and tactics. [37:37]
- Why he uses the mantra, “keep it simple stupid” to guide his nutrition. [40:35]
- How he practices self-care to decompress and unwind from his hectic schedule. [42:59]
- Effective hacks for better sleep and a morning routine to help set your intention for the day. [45:13]
- Why he recommends the children’s book, “The Giving Tree”. [48:14]
- Future investments and projects Gunnar is excited about. [50:27]
Connect with Gunnar:
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Thrive Market
- Amazon’s purchase of Whole Foods
- Dr. Michael Fine: Crony Capitalism is Bad for Your Health
- Weed killer “Roundup” is Increasingly Showing up in People
- Habit: Personalized Nutrition Designed for Better Health and Weight Loss
- “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein
- Mark Sisson – Instagram
Wanna listen to another episode that will teach you skills to perform at a higher level and improve your life? If so, click HERE to check out this solo episode. In this episode I give you actionable tips to overcome insecurity and become a stronger, more confident person. I teach you the safest, most effective ways to include progressive overload in your training, the ideal training split for muscle and strength gains, tips to improve any business and much more.
To listen, you can either click the flash audio player below or browse the links to find your preferred format…
Thank you for tuning in and subscribing. I appreciate every one of you that takes the time to listen.
For the exact training programs that have helped thousands of guys get jacked and strong in only 3 hours per week go to the Renegade Strength Club today.
Could I ask you a huge favor? Can you spare two seconds to leave us a 5 star review on iTunes? Or, if you have two minutes to spare, a written review would be even better and so greatly appreciated.
Don’t know how to leave a review? Click HERE.
Thank you so much!!