“You’re a product of your experience.”
You always hear that phrase as it applies to personal development. But it also applies to every other aspect of your life, especially your career.
When I was coming up in the strength & conditioning world, I cut my teeth next to guys who spent thousands of hours on the gym floor. They coached athletes for 12+ hours. Every day. For years. I did the same and it made me into the coach I am today.
One who cares about nothing but what works in the real world. Not what some study says or what some theoretical physiological mechanism proposes.
It’s all about results. Period.
There’s a certain mindset that comes with this approach. You focus on what works and eliminate what doesn’t.
You learn to always reflect, evaluate, and refine your approach. Not only in training, but also in life.
Jim is the perfect example of the constant improvement this mindset brings. Over the years, we have both gone through dramatic changes. I have seen him transform into an incredible strength coach, and a confident, successful, fulfilled human.
In this episode, Jim and I were just having a regular conversation between friends. But I knew I had to record it because of how much incredible insight he always shares.
Tune in to hear Smitty and I discuss how he has evolved as a man and strength coach, and hear first hand the results of relentless committment and unwavering dedication to lifelong improvement.
If you only have a couple minutes, check out the section on sample workouts and how our training approach has evolved over the years.
Today’s Topics Include:
- 1:36: A new way to use deep breathing to enhance performance
- 7:23: The benefits of cryotherapy
- 20:10: Uncommon solutions to elbow pain and why pulldowns can be a better exercise than chin-ups
- 27:16: The reason barbell movements are a problem for so many lifters
- 35:23: How older guys need to sequence their workouts for optimal progress
- 40:09: What’s the best rep range for single leg exercises?
- 42:37: Is it possible to get jacked without touching a barbell?
- 49:15: Smitty’s favorite new shoulder exercises
- 59:44: Sample workout templates and programming the big lifts
- 1:11:45: Similarities between mine and Smitty’s blood work and how we’re addressing it
- 1:21:55: How Smitty built his fitness business at 3:00am every day
- 1:33:38: The tipping point for Smitty’s training career
- 1:35:26: A recap of Smitty’s sweat lodge experience with former podcast guest, Mike DeSanti and long time Renegade, Chris Yoz.
Listen To Renegade Radio
To listen, you can either hit the flash audio player below, or browse the links to find your preferred format …
- Right click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here for the Renegade Radio RSS Feed (non-iTunes)
Connect With Smitty:
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Thrive Market: Shopping for healthy food can burn a hole in your wallet and waste your time. Luckily, the crew at Thrive Market lets you pick up high quality food at wholesale prices and get it delivered right to your door. No more crazy price hikes or long lines.
Go to jasonferruggia.com/thrive to check them out and claim your free tub of coconut oil.
Renegade Strength Club: The ultimate training community for guy’s looking to take their physical and mental strength to the next level.
This Episode Is Brought To You By:
This episode is brought to you by Onnit Total Human Optimization. Get your Shroom Tech Sport, Alpha Brain, Hemp Force and more incredible supplements and fitness equipment at onnit.com/Renegade. And use the coupon code “Renegade” at checkout to save 10%.
Finally, if you have questions you need me to answer, send them over to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to those of you who leave review
s on iTunes. I read each and every one of them, and sincerely appreciate your feedback.
P.S. Please share this post with someone you think would enjoy it. I appreciate you.
Thank you for listening.