Think about the times when you’ve performed at your absolute best. The times when your focus and clarity were so intense that you knew exactly what to do from one moment to the next. The instances where you were your most productive, creative and powerful self.
Athletes call it “the zone” but it’s also known as the flow state. Unfortunately, for most people flow states are sporadic and by accident, if they happen at all. But what if you could put yourself into a flow state anytime you need to? Imagine what it would do for your business, training, success, and life. Steven Kotler is my guest in Episode 216 of the #RenegadeRadioPodcast and he holds the keys to unlocking flow on command.
Steven is one of the world’s leading experts on ultimate human performance. He is the co-founder and director of the Flow Genome Project, a global organization committed to mapping the genome of flow by 2020 and making it available to everyone. He is also an award-winning journalist and the NY Times best-selling author of several amazing books including “Stealing Fire,” “Bold,” “The Rise of Superman,” “Abundance,” “A Small Furry Prayer,” and “West of Jesus”.
Scroll down for show notes:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to listen on SoundCloud
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Right-click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. They make a powerful, brain-boosting coffee with the active ingredient, Lion’s mane mushroom (also known as the “smart mushroom”). Lion’s Mane has been used by Buddhist monks for better focus during meditation for years. Four Sigmatic is gut friendly and great for those who get an upset stomach from regular coffee. It gets you focused but not jittery, and contains less than half the caffeine of regular coffee. Four Sigmatic comes in handy packets that you just mix with hot or cold water, and takes just a second to prepare.
Go to http://www.foursigmatic.com/jay and use the code JAY to get 15% discount.
- What is a flow state and how can someone achieve it? [4:39]
- Why you should train yourself to take more risks in life and actionable steps to practice it. [13:27]
- How a serious health condition, deep depression, and surfing sparked his work with the Flow Genome Project. [17:39]
- Eco-psychology and the benefits of spending more time outside. [25:00]
- Lifestyle changes that can help you more readily achieve flow states. [31:18]
- How you can use Steven’s “flow hike” to help you get into a flow state. [36:43]
- Ways to prepare for a speech or performance. [40:23]
- Lessons learned from the US Navy SEALS. [41:13]
- Experimentation with psychedelic drugs to achieve flow states. [45:55]
- THC to enhance performance and Steven’s thoughts on some of the effects that edibles have on me. [49:30]
- Why he pre-screens people before allowing them to attend his workshops. [59:01]
- Should everyone meditate? [01:04:00]
- The lessons he’s learned from rescuing dogs. [1:06:07]
- Tips for becoming a better storyteller. [1:10:15]
Connect with Steven:
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Steven’s book, “The Rise of Superman“
- The Flow Genome Project (Go to flowgenomeproject.com for a free test to help you identify your flow state)
- Steven’s Flow for Writers workshop and his dog rescue business
- Creating Equilibrium
- Pro Surfer Laird Hamilton
- Box Breathing app
Thank you for tuning in and subscribing. I appreciate every one of you that takes the time to listen.