Why do you train?
Is it to look a certain way, or does your motivation go past the superficial rewards?
As a man, you have an obligation to build the physical and mental strength to protect yourself and those you love.
It’s easy to think that as long as you’re big, strong, and jacked, you’re prepared to defend yourself in most situations. Toss some martial arts training and you’re going above and beyond what’s necessary.
I used to think that way, too. But after speaking with today’s guest, Tim Larkin, I realize it’s not enough.
Tim is the world’s leader in self defense and the founder of what has been called the most powerful self-defense system of all time, Target Focus Training. He has worked with some of the most lethal humans on the planet, from Navy SEALs and military special forces to prison inmates and gang members.
Today, he is here to transform your views on self-defense, violence, and martial arts training. Tune in to hear Tim and I discuss how you can learn, apply, and understand how self defense works in real world situations.
Today’s Topics Include:
- 0:36: Tim tells his story of hanging with Navy SEALs and changing career paths into self protection
- 6:22: Tim talks about the transition to hand-to-hand combat in the U.S. military and his first exposure to the training style he would study for the rest of his life
- 17:48: The core principles of Target Focus Training
- 20:18: The most important end goal in a self-defense situation
- 25:59: What types of aggression can you avoid and which ones do you have to get involved in?
- 27:23: How to prepare for the unknown aspects of self-defense
- 28:58: The difference between real violence and combat sports
- 29:51: “I need you learning how to tear apart the human body in a methodical way”
- 32:21: Why a lack of training makes people more violent
- 36:56: Why UFC and MMA don’t prepare you for real world situations
- 40:03: Self defense lessons from prison inmates and the world’s most dangerous gang members
- 48:49: What are the warnings signs of violence?
- 51:14: Tim gives a personal example how he handles potentially violent situations
- 54:10: “The 3 Day Test” and how you can decide whether or not to engage in an aggression
- 55:20: “I treat everyone like they are 6 seconds away from going on a shooting spree”
- 58:09: Why women MUST train in self defense
- 1:01:25: What happened when Tony Robbins went through Tim’s courses
- 1:05:10: Tim talks meditation, daily habits for success, and his favorite books
- 1:12:59: What lessons has Tim learned in building his own business?
- 1:15:45: Tim walks you through his day to day life and long term goals
Listen To The Jay Ferruggia Show
To listen, you can either hit the flash audio player below, or browse the links to find your preferred format …
- Click here to download this episode
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here for The Jay Ferruggia Show RSS Feed (non-iTunes)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
War Of Art by Steven Pressfield: One of Tim’s top books for personal development (From Jay: One of my all time favorites, as well).
How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis: The one book Tim gives to other entrepreneurs
Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss: Tim’s #1 book
Connect with Tim:
This Episode Is Brought To You By:
This episode is brought to you by Renegade Roasting Co. This is the ultimate pre workout drink to fuel your training and increase your performance. Every bag purchased provides one person with clean water for two years. Go to RenegadeRoastingCo.com now for the best tasting coffee anywhere.
Use the coupon code JFS for 25% off your first order.
Finally, if you have questions you need me to answer, send them over to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to those of you who leave reviews on iTunes. I read each and every one of them, and sincerely appreciate your feedback.
P.S. Please share this post with someone you think would enjoy it. I appreciate you.
Thank you for listening.