If you want to improve your business skills, learn to develop relationships and become a happier, more successful person you don’t want to miss this episode of the #RenegadeRadioPodcast with the “Ninja Master” of fitness, Mark Fisher.
Mark knows how to create culture and an atmosphere of fun better than almost anyone I know. If you’re in the fitness industry or run an online business or a brick and mortar business of any kind, you’re in for a treat. Mark is going to open your eyes to endless possibilities you probably never even thought of. Everyone wants to do business with someone who makes it fun. Mark will show you how to that at the highest level.
Mark is the creator and co-CEO of Mark Fisher Fitness. Formerly a professional actor and performance artist, his unique style and flair for fun have helped make MFF the most popular and successful gym in New York City. Mark and his team have created a culture at MFF that inspires and educates members (AKA “Ninjas”) while entertaining them and helping them have fun with fitness.
Grab your notebook and get ready for an insider’s look at how the “Enchanted Ninja Clubhouse of Glory and Dreams” was created.
Scroll down for show notes:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to listen on SoundCloud
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Right-click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. With 75 ingredients working together to help with eleven different areas of health.
You never know what’s going to come up in your day; however, with just one scoop of Athletic Greens when you wake up or add it to your morning smoothie, you know you have all of your bases covered. It’s easy, and it tastes great.
Go to http://www.AthleticGreens.com/Jay to receive a special offer as a listener of the podcast.
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic, which I use every single day. What is Four Sigmatic? It’s mushroom coffee made with the active ingredient, Lion’s mane mushroom (also known as the “smart mushroom”). Lion’s Mane has long been used by Buddhist monks for better focus during meditation for years. I know you’re going to say you don’t want to drink coffee that tastes like mushrooms, but it doesn’t. Four Sigmatic:
- Is gut friendly and great for those who get an upset stomach from regular coffee.
- Gets you cranked up for your day, but not jittery and anxiety ridden because it contains less than half the caffeine of regular coffee.
- Comes in handy packets that you just mix with hot or cold water. Takes just a second to prepare.
Go to http://www.foursigmatic.com/jay and use the code JAY to get 15% discount.
- Mark’s background and the story behind how he created the niche for his gyms. [4:10]
- How he first got into fitness and what sparked his obsession with weight training. [5:59]
- Why Mark wrote pro bodybuilder Phil Heath a fan letter and how he first started training people. [7:57]
- Why his decision to read two books per week was a tipping point for his business and his life. [13:57]
- How Mark started group training before he had his own facility. [16:14]
- Why he recommends building your clientele before opening a brick and mortar business and amazing insights into how he built his. [18:09]
- The thing that separates Mark from other trainers and why trainers should focus on becoming better performers. [21:18]
- How he opened his first brick and mortar gym (AKA the “Enchanted Ninja Clubhouse of Glory and Dreams”). [32:12]
- Why some of his days are like performing stand-up comedy and how the culture of MFF is cultivated. [34:12]
- How his business grew without spending any money on marketing until the 3rd year it was open. [37:07]
- Mark explains his ultra-successful “Snatched” program and how his dislike for P90X led to its creation. [42:05]
- The experience of walking into MFF for the first time and how he tailors the experience based on a member’s personality. [46:39]
- How MFF fosters community and connection amongst members and balances it with the hard work that it takes to get into shape. [52:04]
- The science of programming they use at his gyms. [56:15]
- How would Mark train someone who needed to pack on as much muscle as possible within 90 days? [1:02:08]
- His current training split. [1:06:20]
- Tips for becoming a great coach and why Mark likes to think of himself as a sherpa. [1:10:28]
- His thoughts on how to be a great leader and run a successful business. [1:17:15]
- The ways to make your business fun. [1:24:58]
- Can doing things like studying the arts or taking improv classes help improve your business? [1:28:56]
- How to improve your public speaking skills and make your presentations more entertaining. [1:32:43]
- His daily routines and habits. [1:38:08]
- The TV shows Mark is into and the books he recommends. [1:42:04]
Connect with Mark:
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Mark Fisher Fitness
- The Snatched Program
- Phil Heath
- NY Sports Club
- Eric Cressey
- AJ Roberts
- Ian King
- Matt McGorry
- Alwyn Cosgrove
- Mike Boyle
- Bedros Keuilian
- Joe DeFranco
- Dan John
- Brett Bartholomew
- Brian Tracy
- Broadway Bares
- “Made to Stick” by Chip and Dan Heath
- “Contagious” by Jonah Berger
- “Crucial Conversations” by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler and Laura Roppe
- “Speak like Churchill, Stand like Lincoln” by James C. Humes
- “Steal the Show” by Michael Port
- “The Moral Animal” by Robert Wright
- “The Rational Optimist” by Matt Ridley
- “Antifragile” by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- “Sapiens” by Yuval Noah Harari
- Stranger Things
- Game of Thrones
Thank you for tuning in and subscribing. I appreciate every one of you that takes the time to listen.