From impoverished, hard, scrabble beginnings in Princeton, Minnesota, to center stage at Madison Square Gardens, Bob Backlund is the ultimate represenation of the All-American Guy.
Originally gaining renown as a high school and collegiate athlete, before becoming known to millions globally as Pro/Wrestling’s Three.Time World Champion—his appeal and accomplishments transcend the realms of athletics and entertainment.
Bob Backlund embodies that which is all too rare, pure and refreshingly down to earth. He lives by a set of principles revolving around a positive mental attitude—and an unrelenting belief in one’s self. Bob is as well known for two words as he is for his athletic prowess, or as an entertainer: “Never capitulate” and “Positive Mental Attitude.”
In this episode of Renegade Radio, Bob and I sit down to talk about the driving factors behind his success and reminisce on stories from his days as a pro wrestling champion, including the highs, lows, and hilarious moments of his career.
Today’s Topics Include:
- 0:22: Introducing today’s guest and his transition from pro wrestler to U.S. Congressman.
- 2:41: Bob’s 13 hour Harvard Step Test- AKA 13 hours of step-ups.
- 6:16: Getting jacked with nothing but a cement barbell.
- 7:29: Bob’s weekly workout routine, which still includes the legendary step test.
- 9:50: How has Bob’s training changed as he has gotten older?
- 11:03: Back to the old school days of pro wrestling, including an inside look at the parties and social scene.
- 18:11: Bob’s favorite opponents of all time and who he wishes he could have worked with
- 21:56: How has Bob’s transition back into the business been?
- 28:15: Rapid fire responses to some of the greatest wrestlers in history
- 32:44: What kind of toll did wrestling tale on Bob’s body and how he counteracts it with his diet
- 36:13: The secrets to Bob’s mindset of success and prosperity
- 40:09: Bob’s most highly recommended books
- 43:24: The one phrase Bob signs every autograph with
Listen to Renegade Radio:
To listen, you can either hit the flash audio player below, or browse the links to find your preferred format …
- Right click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here for the Renegade Radio RSS Feed (non-iTunes)
Awesome Stuff Mentioned In This Episode:
Backlund: From All American Boy to Professional Wrestling’s World Champion. The story of Bob Backlund’s rise to success.
Think and Grow Rich: One of Bob’s all time favorite books
This Episode is Brought to You By:
Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in one drink… With no shopping, no juicing, no blending and no clean up.
In just 30 seconds a day you can supercharge your life, restore glowing good health, and feel decades younger.
- Save time
- Increase mental clarity
- Improve health
- Reduce stress
- Detoxify your body
- Rejuvenate your skin
- Boost immunity
If you have questions, shoot them my way on Twitter (@JasonFerruggia) or email podcast@JasonFerruggia.com
Thank you for tuning in, subscribing, and listening. I appreciate every one of you that takes the time to listen.