Training is a skill. You improve with time, dedication, and practice. Progress comes in both the amount of weight you lift and the quality of your movement.
Let me watch two guys of equal strength train together, and I can tell you who has been at it longer. There is just something about the way he lifts that screams experience.
Over time, that experience leads to more effective workouts and better results.
How to properly work up to a top end set, how heavy your sets should feel, and how fast your reps should look. All of those o details play a critical role in your risk of injury, your ability to recover, and your progress.
I always say that experience is the best teacher. The only way you master the skills of strength training is by hitting the iron with commitment and focus for 5+ years.
However, you can accelerate this learning process by implemeneting the lessons of those who have been in the iron game for decades.
In this episode, I go through how you can master these principles and allow yourself to get results as fast as possible.
Tune in to hear me discuss the essential aspects of a great workout and walk you through the habits and actions of the most experienced lifters.
If you only have a couple minutes, be sure to check out an in-depth overview of my current nutrition plan on the #GenXMassQuest.
Today’s Topics Include:
- 0:25: The music genre that makes me want to headbutt someone
- 3:41: iMessage auto-corrects that only meatheads will understand
- 5:40: Shout out recent iTunes reviews winners. Be sure to listen so you can claim your free t shirt
- 10:24: The diet mistake that always leaves me with low energy
- 13:32: A detailed explanation of my current nutrition plan on the #GenXMassQuest
- 19:54: How to properly warm up to your first working set
- 21:34: My favorite workout trick to increase my strength on top end sets
- 26:26: The proper way to choose your working weights for every exercise
- 27: 56: When you should and should not go to failure
- 30:12: What to do if you aren’t feeling it when you get to the gym
- 31:32 Is overtraining real?
- 37:19: How to adjust your training when doing martial arts
- 39:29: Why most people fail to accomplish their goals and what you can do to avoid that failure
- 41:34: How I keep my marriage healthy and my life balanced
- 45:42: The best approach to squat and deadlift with achey knees
- 46:32: What’s the single greatest exercise for traps hypertrophy?
Listen To Renegade Radio
To listen, you can either hit the flash audio player below, or browse the links to find your preferred format …
- Right click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here for the Renegade Radio RSS Feed (non-iTunes)
Awesome Stuff Mentioned in This Episode:
Thrive Market: Shopping for healthy food can burn a hole in your wallet and waste your time. Luckily, the crew at Thrive Market lets you pick up high quality food at wholesale prices and get it delivered right to your door. No more crazy price hikes or long lines.
Go to jasonferruggia.com/thrive to check them out and claim your free tub of coconut oil.
Renegade Strength Club: The ultimate training community for guy’s looking to take their physical and mental strength to the next level.
This Episode Is Brought To You By:
This episode is brought to you by Onnit Total Human Optimization. Get your Shroom Tech Sport, Alpha Brain, Hemp Force and more incredible supplements and fitness equipment at onnit.com/Renegade. And use the coupon code “Renegade” at checkout to save 10%.
Finally, if you have questions you need me to answer, send them over to email@example.com
Thank you to those of you who leave reviews on iTunes. I read each and every one of them, and sincerely appreciate your feedback.
P.S. Please share this post with someone you think would enjoy it. I appreciate you.
Thank you for listening.