Getting jacked, ripped, and strong is the topic at hand today with my guest, Dr. Andy Galpin. Wanna learn simple, stress-free ways to lose fat and build muscle? The good doctor has your prescription for proper programming in this episode of the #RenegadeRadioPodcast.
Andy has a Ph.D. in Human Bioenergetics and he is a professor in the Center for Sports Performance at CSU Fullerton. He is also the author of “Unplugged: Evolve from Technology to Upgrade Your Fitness, Performance, and Consciousness” and he’s the host of the popular podcast “The Body of Knowledge”.
Listen as we discuss:
- Andy’s Top 5 hip-hop artists and favorite albums of all time. 3:24
- Why he made the decision to combine Strength Programming and Coaching with Muscle Physiology and Science. 17:54
- The biggest mistakes most people make with their training and lifestyle. 20:02
- The 3 most important training variables. 21:02
- Andy’s 5 categories for designing training programs. 25:11
- Are sore muscles a sign of an effective training session? 29:40
- Why consistency trumps effort for achieving your training goals. 31:57
- Why just doing the work is far more important than worrying about what training program you’re following. 37:09
- The ideal weekly schedule for the average person who wants to get jacked. 40:34
- Does optimal training frequency depend on your goals? 42:44
- Are 270 reps per week the magic number for building muscle? 45.34
- How to use variety in your training to help expedite progress. 49:14
- Is it a myth that too much conditioning makes you small and weak? 51:14
- How recovery can hinder muscle growth and why inflammation isn’t always a bad thing. 55:38
- The lessons you can learn from Michael Phelps’ approach to training for the Olympics in Rio. 1:00:18
- Andy’s book, “Unplugged” and why you shouldn’t rely on fitness technology. 1:03:21
- The great resources, training, and education that Andy gives away for free. 1:13:12
Connect with Dr. Andy Galpin
Listen to Renegade Radio:
To listen, you can either hit the flash audio player below or browse the links to find your preferred format …
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to listen on SoundCloud
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Right-click here and choose “Save As”to download this episode
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Andy’s book “Unplugged”
- Adidas (Andy worked in corporate wellness)
- Exos (formerly named Athletes’ Performance)
- Brad Schoenfeld – renowned expert on fitness and sports nutrition. Specializes in women’s fitness.
- Study Published in 1980 by an author named “Hickson” on the affects of cardio/conditioning on strength and muscle mass.
- Bob Bowman – Michael Phelps’ longtime coach
- Ben Levine – Altitude Research for Michael Phelps
- The Body of Knowledge Podcast
- Free education, training and resources given on andygalpin.com
Rappers and hip hop albums mentioned in the episode:
- KRS – One
- Chuck D
- Big Daddy Kane
- Chino XL
- Makavelli and All Eyez On Me (2-Pac Albums)
- Straight Outta Compton
- It Takes a Nation of Millions
- Low End Theory
- A Tribe Called Quest
- De La Soul
- Naughty By Nature
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic.
What is Four Sigmatic? It’s mushroom coffee made with the active ingredient Lion’s mane mushroom (also known as “smart mushroom”). Lion’s Mane has long been used by Buddhist monks for better focus during meditation for years.
I know you’re going to say you don’t want to drink coffee that tastes like mushrooms, but it doesn’t.
- For those who are getting stomach pain from coffee drinking – Mushroom Coffee is a gut-friendly coffee option.
- It gets you cranked up for your day, but not like regular coffee.
- Comes in handy packets that you just mix with hot or cold water. Takes just a second to prepare.
- You can use it pre-workout.
Go to http://www.foursigmatic.com/jay and use the code JAY to get 15% discount.
This episode is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. With 75 ingredients working together to help with eleven different areas of health.
You never know what’s going to come up in your day; however, with just one scoop of Athletic Greens when you wake up or add it to your morning smoothie, you know you have all of your bases covered. It’s easy, and it tastes great.
Go to http://www.AthleticGreens.com/Jay to receive a special offer as a listener of the podcast.
Watch this Episode:
Thank you for tuning in and subscribing. I appreciate every one of you that takes the time to listen.